Photography is everywhere. From the images on our phones to the photographs displayed in magazines, websites and homes, we interact with photography every day. But behind every professional image is a photographer with a unique way of seeing the world.
Italian photographer Alessandro Pietrosanti has spent most of his life behind a camera. Now 51 years old and based in Essex, England, his work has evolved from documentary photography and weddings to a strong focus on interiors, architecture and hospitality. Yet despite the changes in his career, one thing has remained constant: his desire to tell stories.
Alessandro's passion for photography began at a very young age.
"I started taking pictures when I was a child, more or less seven years old. I think I wanted to emulate my father. He always brought his camera during our holidays, so I would too, a small Kodak Ektra. When I was nine years old, I received my first SLR camera, a fantastic Yashica FX 2000. At that moment, I totally fell in love with photography."
Like many photographers of his generation, the path was not immediate. Photography remained a passion for years while he built a career in graphic design.
"I started my career as a graphic designer in 1996. At that time, becoming a professional photographer was much more difficult and expensive than it is today. Photography became my escape, a place where I could slow down and recharge. In 2008, I finally decided to follow the path I had always wanted."
Over the years, Alessandro photographed weddings, documentary projects, portraits, products, food and interiors. Today, however, his focus is much clearer.
"If someone asks me what type of photographer I am, my answer is simple: interior photographer."
His ideal clients are interior designers, boutique hotels and luxury hospitality brands. Yet he does not approach these spaces as a traditional architectural photographer.
"When I enter a space, the first thing I notice is the atmosphere. Then the light, then the architecture and finally the human story behind it. Atmosphere is what I try to preserve in every photograph. If an image doesn't make you feel something, then it isn't doing its job."
This approach comes directly from his documentary background. While the subjects may have changed, the intention remains the same.
"I still use photography to tell stories. The difference is that today I often tell stories through spaces rather than people. Every room, every building and every detail exists because someone imagined it, designed it and brought it to life."
Storytelling remains at the heart of everything he creates.
"I've always considered myself a storyteller. Whether I'm photographing a person, a hotel or a private residence, I'm trying to build a narrative through images."
When asked what he hopes people feel when they look at his photographs, his answer is immediate.
"Curiosity. If I can create curiosity, I can create interest. I want people to stop for a moment and wonder what exists beyond the frame. At the same time, I want them to feel the same atmosphere that I experienced while creating the image."
One of the biggest changes in Alessandro's life over the last few years has been becoming a father. Surprisingly, this has also changed the way he approaches photography.
"I've learned to slow down. Before, everything felt like a race. Today I understand the value of waiting. Sometimes there is nothing you can do except observe and give a moment the time it deserves. That waiting can be beautiful."
This slower approach has even brought him back to shooting film.
"Film photography forces you to slow down. Digital photography is an incredible tool, but it has also made everything faster. Film reminds me to observe before pressing the shutter."
For Alessandro, slowing down is not simply a photographic technique. It is a philosophy that influences both his work and his personal life.
"The more time you give yourself to observe, the more you notice. That's true when photographing a room, but it's also true in everyday life. Learning to appreciate time has probably been the most important lesson of the last few years."
Looking ahead, his ambitions have evolved as well. While he still admires publications such as National Geographic, his biggest goal today is something more personal.
"I want my work to be recognisable. There are many photographers creating beautiful images, but I think it's important to develop your own voice. If three thousand people are standing in a square wearing blue shirts, I want to be the one wearing orange."
It is a goal that reflects his belief that photography is not just about creating attractive images. It is about creating images with personality, purpose and identity.
After more than four decades with a camera in his hands, Alessandro's motivation remains unchanged.
"Photography is a language and I use it to tell true stories, because everything has a story behind it."
Whether documenting a remote community, photographing a luxury hotel or capturing the atmosphere of a carefully designed interior, the mission remains the same: to create images that encourage people to pause, look longer and discover the story waiting to be told.
